Aside from all the fun I’ve been having digging up old videos on YouTube (see below), I’ve had a pretty busy week. But it was a pretty good one too.
- I went to see “Charlie Wilson’s War” and loved every minute of it. I can honestly say it’s the first time I’ve actually enjoyed a Tom Hanks performance (does that make me a bad person?). All I can say is: go and see this film.
- Things are looking up on the career front. But if I told you any more, I’d have to kill you. Work wasn’t too bad at all – I didn’t actually murder anyone with my bare hands and didn’t feel the need to turn to a crate of beer to forget. In short, a success.
- It’s now 18 days into my new healthier me (titter ye not) and I still had any alcohol or junk food. And you know what? I’m not missing either. Actually no, that’s not true. I walked past a KFC yesterday and was almost bowled over by the delicious aroma of… well, fried chicken. But I was strong. I walked on. Yay me.
- The Apple keynote was great. For me. No new iPhone to tempt me. No super duper software package I “simply had to have”. I just paid $20 for an update for my iPod Touch to get a mail application and other assorted goodies. Dear God, am I over Apple?
- However, I’m already missing the East London Line, which closed just before Christmas. It means I have to get a bus to get to the next nearest station. Which is not in itself a problem. The fact that everyone else in Wapping has the same brilliant plan is the problem. Yes, there is a replacement bus service. But as I’ve already pointed out, it doesn’t cross the river, making it pretty useless. Makes me wonder who does the planning at Transport for London. Yeah, that’s a good one… planning.
All in all a good week. And here comes the weekend, when I shall mostly be trying to make some progress on my doctorate. No rest for the wicked…